Thursday, June 19, 2008

First Thoughts in Mae Sot

So, I have been in Mae Sot, the small town along the Burma border, since June 11th. It was a long few days of travel by plane, taxi and bus but I made it here in one piece and with all of my luggage. To say the least, Mae Sot is the most interesting place I have ever been. The population is mostly made up of Burmese migrants and refugees, along with a large foreign expat population from all parts of the world. It is so fun just to run into people and exchange stories, as everyone is so interesting. Even my office is quite diverse. I work with a woman from Norway, two men from Australia and New Zealand, and three Burmese refugees, all of which are from various ethnic tribes. There is a cool dynamic between all of the aid workers too. Every week there are soccer games and ultimate frizz-bee matches, along with a Tuesday night trivia game at the local bar. Because of the unique blend between the foreign workers and the heavy Burmese population, Mae Sot is kind of disconnected or isolated from the rest of Thailand. It's kind of a weird feeling sometimes.

The local community is incredible here too. Most of them are Burmese migrants so they understand that the NGO workers are here for a good purpose. This way, everyone is so friendly and welcoming. I have never been approached by a beggar, nor have I perceived any negative impressions or attitudes from the local population. This could also be because Mae Sot is heavily Buddhist, as there are about three beautiful monasteries right in town.

As for work: I am working for the Human Rights Documentation Unit (HRDU) of the National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma (NCGUB). The NCGUB is basically the former government of Burma that won the 1990 elections. However, the NCGUB had to go into exile when the Burmese military junta would not honor the election results. What the HRDU does is annually document the human rights situation occurring in Burma and then submit a yearbook to the international community so that the international institutions can hopefully use their leverage to apply external pressure on the junta. Such institutions include the United Nations and the International Labor Organization etc. Therefore, every year the HRDU produces the Burma Human Rights Yearbook. Here is an example of the 2006 edition, which is about 900 pages, so don't feel pressured to read its entirety: http://www.ncgub.net/BHRY/2006/. In addition to the yearbook, the HRDU will also carryout other specific reports. We did the Bullets in the Alms Bowl report, which documented the events of the Monk Protest last September (http://www.ncgub.net/mediagallery/media.php?s=200803100000223). So, currently I am gathering information on the 2008 yearbook and then in about a week I will start drafting chapters in it and writing individual incidents that have already occurred. Furthermore, as we get into the summer we are also starting a major project on the rights of children in Burma and on the roles of child soldiers. This is supposed to be a pretty intense project because we are collaborating with a lot of other local organizations to right this report. Moreover, there has never been a major publication analyzing children in Burma. Hopefully, it will produce some results because the Burma military is notorious for recruiting child soldiers and for exploiting child labor.

It will be interesting to see how these projects develop over the course of the summer and how my perceptions of the town and Burma issues evolve too. At the moment, I am still taking it all in. Anyways, I just thought I would post an update of my first impressions here in Mae Sot. Hope all is well and I will try to post again in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

5 comments:

TinaA said...

Hey Joe! Wow, what a journey you are on! This is so very interesting, be sure to keep us updated with your awesome adventure. The projected you are working on is fantastic, can't wait to read more about it.
Take care, keep safe!

Tina and Randy Anderson

Ruth said...

Joe!!! What an adventure - I am so thrilled for you. Thanks for the update, I look forward to learning more about all the good you are doing over there. The world is fortunate to have you - keep up the GREAT work!! All my best, Ruth

Mom said...

Good morning Joe!(assuming you check this on sat.am)I hope you get to do more exploring on your bike this week-end, we're very anxious to see some photos. We're so proud of you! Will you be going to the refuge camp at all? Love you and stay safe.M&D

Christian said...

Great idea to blog the journey, what a concept. ;)

I'll check in regularly if you'll post regularly. Don't forget pics.

Cheers,

Christian

bruff said...

Sto Jockton, this is great. Erin and I are really happy for you because you are doing so much for the world. This is awesome, keep us all updated. Like Christian said, pictures would be awesome, I would love to see what it is like over there. Keep safe my brother, love you man,

Bryan + Erin